I tried a lot of the recipes I got from Google, wherein you had to cook the rice along with water slowly and not discard the water. This may be the original way of making it, but this just didn’t work for me. I was watching this Masterchef India Special Class episode, wherein Chef Ripu Daman was taking a class on Brown Rice Risotto, and it looked awesome (Both Ripu and the Risotto 😉 ). Lazy me did not note down the recipe at that instant. And then, I searched for it a lot on Google, but just couldn’t find it 😦 .
Hence, using all the memory power I had left, I tried recollecting whatever I could from the show, and came up with my own recipe. Truly yummmm!!!!
The ingredients you’ll need are:
- 1 cup brown / white rice (cooked)
Arborio rice of course works the best, but normal or basmati rice works equally good!
For the vegetable gravy:
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 big onion (cut long and thin)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Green chilli paste
- 2 tomatoes (puree)
- 1 carrot, 4-5 beans (cut into small cubes)
- ½ capsicum (cut into small cubes)
- Few spinach leaves (optional)
For the cheesy sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter
- Little ajwain (carom seeds)
- 2-3 tbsp corn flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cheese cubes
- Black pepper
- Oregano flakes
- 1 tbsp sugar
Lets start making the risotto:
- To make the vegetable gravy, in a pan, take ghee. Add onions. Sauté.
- Add the ginger garlic green chilli paste. Sauté till aroma arises.
- Add the carrot, beans and spinach. Sauté till cooked.
- Add capsicum. Sauté for a minute.
- Add the tomato puree. Sauté till it leaves oil and is well cooked.
- Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In another pan, let’s make the risotto. Take butter. Add ajwain.
- Add corn flour and fry for a minute. This white sauce needs to be thicker than the one we normally make, hence more corn flour and less milk.
- Add the milk. Sauté till it boils.
- Add salt, sugar, oregano flakes and black pepper.
- Add the rice. Keep stirring for 10-15 minutes on low flame.
- One small tip is to open up the rice with your fingers before mixing it in the pan so that no rice lumps are formed and the rice stirs in smoothly.
- Add grated cheese.
- Add the vegetable gravy and stir well. Serve hot!