Off late, I’ve been trying to get on a protein diet. As a vegetarian, we tend to intake a lot of carbs and with all the hustle going on about healthy living, I wanted to indulge in healthy living as well 😉 Hehe.
This palak dal in not only easy and simple, but super delicious as well. Club it with hot Phulka’s or steamed rice or just eat it as is. I’ve made this as a one pot recipe, thus saving more time and effort as well 🙂 So without taking much time, lets jump right in….
- Spinach finely chopped 15-20 leaves
- Tur dal (Split pigeon peas) 3/4 cup
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Ghee (clarified butter) 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Garlic chopped 3-4 cloves finely chopped
- Medium sized Onion finely chopped -1
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice 1 teaspoon
- In a cooker, add ghee, Asafoetida, cumin seeds, garlic and sauté for one minute. Continue to sauté till onion gets lightly browned.
- Add the lentils, turmeric poster, red chili powder, spinach and sauté for half a minute. Mix well.
- Add one cup water, salt and stir.
- Close the cooker and let it cook till about 3 whistles.
- Switch the stove and wait till the cooker cools down completely.
- After 30 mins, open the cooker, add lemon juice, mix and serve hot.
Don’t forget to link/ comment/ share if you enjoyed this post.
Preparing condensed milk at home is easy, cheaper, yummier, and yes – my cravings for this sweet milk can be taken care of anytime I want to 😀 . It tastes just like the condensed milk purchased from the market!
(measurement for 1 tin condensed milk)
- 1 litre milk (full fat)
- 300 gms sugar
- A pinch baking powder
The recipe to make:
- Boil the milk. Transfer it to a pan, add sugar and keep boiling, stirring at intervals. You can boil it on high flame in the start, but once the milk starts thickening, reduce it to low flame to avoid the milk at the bottom of the vessel from burning. Stir more frequently.
- As the milk reaches a consistency a ‘little’ thinner than that of the actual condensed milk, add just a small pinch of baking powder, stir and switch off the gas.
- The milkmaid will thicken a little more while cooling. Our yummy, delicious and homemade condensed milk is ready!!
- In case the condensed milk forms lumps in the end, not to worry, just blend it in a blender to remove the lumps.
- NEVER wait for the right consistency of the condensed milk before switching off the gas, as on cooling it with thicken even more.
- You can store it in the fridge for upto 2 weeks! Voila!
Until next time, Adios:)
I love to cook but I also realise how lazy I get when I’ve to cook lunch just for me. I’m excited to cook when I’ve people around, but just for myself, it can get boring. Don’t you agree?
I need something fast, exciting and healthy to keep me motivated to enter the kitchen during these lazy and cozy winter days. So, I walk into the kitchen, open the refrigerator & picked out all the veggies I had . I also had a batch of Homemade Basil Pesto that I had made just 3 days ago and decided – why not a healthy yum Veg Sandwich. And so I put it together and guess what – it turned out super delicious. Voila!! The ingredients used are what most of us have in our pantry and takes no time at all. So why wait? Let’s get started.
- Peeled and grated carrot – 1/4 cup
- Peeled and grated bottle guard – 1/4 cup (optional. I had it in my fridge and wanted to make something healthy. So why not? 😉 )
- Finely chopped onions – 1/4 cup
- Finely chopped capsicum – 1/4 cup
- Cheese slices – 2 ( for 2 sandwiches)
- Oregano – 1/4 tsp
- Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Pesto – to apply on the bread
- Brown Bread slices – 4
- Take a bowl and mix all veggies and the seasoning.
- Place cheese slices on 2 bread slices and apply a generous layer of pesto on the other two slices.
- Scoop 1-2 tbsp of the veggie mix and apply in on the bread slices. Cover with the other bread slice.
- In a pan, add a little butter and place the sandwich.
- Cook till its brown on both sides.
- Serve with ketchup or eat it as is.
- Yay!! Healthy and quick veggie sandwich is ready to be eaten or even packed for lunch.
Hope you all enjoyed this as much I enjoyed cooking it.
Until next time, Adios 🙂