Saboodana/ Sago pearls are usually eaten during fasting days, in India. People make saboodana khichdi, saboodana vada, saboodana kheer etc. But, what I love the most of all is the Saboodana Kheer. Its one of the simplest & easiest Indian dessert recipe and tastes so yummm.
- ½ cup soaked saboodana/ sago pearls ( soaked for 4-5 hours)
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 4-5 strand saffron dissolved in 4-5 tbsp luke warm milk
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Sliced almond for dressing
- Wash saboodana and soak them in water for 4-5 hours. You will notice, that the pearls absorb water and increase in size. If you use small grains of sago/saboodana, then 1-1.5 hours are enough. But for this recipe, I would recommend using the large size saboodana.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottomed vessel and keep stirring.
- Once the milk begins to boil, add saboodana and constantly keep stirring to avoid the milk and pearls from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook them over medium heat for 10-12 mins till the saboodana turns transparent.
- You will notice the milk beginning to thicken. This happens because of pearls.
- Now add sugar ,cardamom powder and the saffron milk. Saffron adds a wonderful flavor and aroma to the kheer.
- Stir a little for over 3-4 mins and transfer into the serving bowl.
- Garnish with sliced almond.
- This dessert can be served hot/ chilled. It is usually eaten along with Puri & Aloo ( potato) curry.
Don’t forget to click on ‘like’ if you like our posts and we always look forward for your feedback and comments 🙂
Happy cooking !