Have you wanted to make something healthy yet yummy? Something that doesn’t require buying 100’s of healthy ingredients before getting started? Well, I’ve been there and most of the time I’m inspired to cook healthy meals, I often end up not doing it because I do not have those ingredients in my pantry and then you know what happens :p Mission healthy food : FAILS! Hahaha
But who comes to rescue during these tragic moments of course my MOM 🙂 This lentils recipe is not only super yummy but super super healthy as well and guess what : all the ingredients used are almost available all the time. So instead of having you all to read more of my stupid tragic stories, let’s just get started.
- Moong Dal/ Split yellow lentils – 1 cup
- Medium sized tomato – 1 roughly chopped
- Calabash /bottle gourd/ Lauki – 1/2 cup roughly chopped
- Small onion – 1 roughly chopped
- Red chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp (you can add more or less as per your taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Kitchen king masala or Garam masala – 1/2 tsp ( optional)
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 tsp (optional)
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 4-5
- Ghee/ Clarified butter or oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash the lentils and let it soak atleast for 30 mins ( It cooks faster if done this way. If in a hurry, it can be skipped as well)
- Put lentils, veggies and a little salt to a pressure cooker and let it cook up to 3 whistles.
- Let the cooker cool down, then open it and whisk the dal/ lentils till everything looks incorporated.
- For the seasoning, take a small pan or kadai – add ghee (can be substituted by oil), mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- As you see them splutter, add them to the lentils. Add salt as per your taste.
- Add the Kitchen king masala/ garam masala and switch off the stove.
- Add lemon juice and mix everything together.
- Tada!! The yummy dal is ready to be served with roti’s/ rice or can just be eaten as is.
If the dal looks dry, you can add water to it. I added 1 cup of water and let it boil before serving it
Hope you all enjoyed this recipe.
Until next time, Adios!
Stay happy, stay healthy 🙂